Is it safe to sleep after detoxing from Lortab?

Is it okay to sleep a lot while detoxing from Lortab? He has some 1grm Ativan that he is taking 1 every 6 hrs and should he stay hydrated?
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Hari Om Chandrakar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Its Ativan that is causing sleep. Detailed Answer: Hi, I had gone through your query and understand your concerns. Its good that the patient himself is trying so hard to get rid of the drugs effects. The drug Ativan contains lorazepam, which causes a lot of sleepiness and drowsiness, in patients who are getting detoxified. There is no need to worry, you are advised to just complete the whole course as advised by the detox clinic. And yeah, any external drugs elimination from body is accelerated by water, so you he should always be in hydrated state. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Regards Dr Hari Om Chandrakar MBBS
Follow-up: Is it safe to sleep after detoxing from Lortab? 3 hours later
He is not at a detox clinic he is at home with his mom and I was just worried about them.They are doing this on thier own with some research online. that is why I was asking the questions. So are we going at this the right way? I was really worried about him sleeping so much which he was doing before he started taking the ativan. Will the sleeping make it easier on him? Thanks Roxie
Answered by Dr. Hari Om Chandrakar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: NO Absolutely NOT Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX As the drugs you had mentioned earlier are not OTC drugs and their consumption should be done through a strict and continous medical advise The drug Ativan is a highly sedative drug. Sleeping while detoxing does make it easier but it should be taken carefully as sometimes it may cause respiratory depression which may cause death of the patient if there is overdose. You are hereby advised to report to nearby detox clinic/physician as early as possible and take the medicines only by a prescription from the doctor and under supervision, preferably in a hospital setting. hope my answer helped you. Regards Dr Hari Om Chandrakar MBBS