Is it safe to plan for a child when suffering from Hepetitis B?

Gastroenterologist
Question
hi myslef shashikant XXXXXXX 35 yrs of age...i m uploading my reports plz tell me in which stage i am and what has to be done next
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you. I went through the attached report. You are positive for hep B. Tests show you have chronic infection. The liver function says you have only insignificantly raised SGPT. You are e antigen negative. Your HBV DNA level is very low. You are in the inactive carrier stage. You do not require any active treatment now. But check the serum alpha feto protein level and also get an ultrasound scan of the abdomen done. These two are to be done every 6 months. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Is it safe to plan for a child when suffering from Hepetitis B? 11 hours later
thank you sir i had my usg report 7-8 months bac and it showed mild hepatomegaly and fibroscan was normal.i just want to know that my wife has completed her course of hep b vaccination so can we think of having a child

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, If she was previously negative for Hep B and now has completed all the three doses of Hep B vaccine, then she is protected against it. If that is the case, you can go ahead with your plan of having a child. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini