Is it safe to perform Juvaderm procedure without gloves?

Dr. perfromed Juvaderm procedure without gloves
I went to a plastic surgeon's office that also performs dermatological procedures to get Juvaderm for smile lines. He began to apply a numbing cream with his bare hands. I don't know why but this alarmed me a bit, since this is a procedure with needles involved, I was expecting him to apply it with a cotton swab applicator. He said to wait a few minutes for numbing to set in. He went to talk with another patient and then came back in to start the injections. I thought he would for sure put on gloves. He swabbed around my mouth with rubbing alcohol and then started injecting with his bare hands. He was prodding and moving the juvaderm around aggressively with his fingers around the injection site. Is it not required to use gloves while doing this procedure? I did bruise up in a couple places and there was some blood he would stop with gauze. I am wondering if him touching the area increases infection risk. He didn't wash his hands before or after procedure.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 5 hours later

Thank you for posting the query,

Your question is very genuine and I appreciate it.

I think you are absolutely right regarding all the aseptic precautions needed before doing a filler injection. I am a bit surprised that a plastic surgeon is not wearing a glove during the procedure, probably he is too sure about the procedure.

Not only during the procedure, doctors should wear gloves while applying the anesthetic cream or use a applicator instead.

There are times when some doctors does these mistakes out of over confidence.

A bruise though might happen occasionally, since at times a fine blood vessel could be hit since its a blind procedure. The bruise goes off within 2-3 days time.

I've been doing these procedures since a very long time and haven't come across any infection any time, but I believe in taking all the precautions needed during the procedure.

In your case infection is the only fear. I hope and wish that you don't land up with that, even though its not so commonly seen.

Hope I have answered your query, Should you have additional concern regarding the same, I would be happy to address it.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.