Is it safe to have intercourse after 2 months of child birth and when can we plan for next child ?

Hi Doctor,

I have a few Questios,

Q1: My wife delivered a baby Boy 2 months ago, since then my wife and myself are deprived of our sex life and we are not sure as to when we can have an intercourse. we any ways indulge in Love plays and fingerings the erotic zones. however, I would like to know as to when we can both have sexual intercourse.

Q2: As this is the First Baby for both of us, out of curiosity we would like to know , as to when we can plan for our next child, I mean the time gap between the first and second child.

Q3: As my wife is breast feeding, she sometimes tells me that her boobs gets harder and that I need to suck some milk out of it and drink it.
Is this okay for me to help her or is there any other side effects on me if I drink the milk.
Otherwise, is there a way that she can help herself from getting the boobs harderned.

Q4:My wife says that as advised by the doctor, she is suppossed to drink atleast 4 glassed of milk as she is feeding and that she needs calcium, but when my wife drinks cow's milk , her breasts produces enormous quantity of milk and due to excess milk , her boobs gets hardened, so she now avoids taking 4 glasses of milk but just takes only 1 instead. as a result her calcium intake is very low, is there any other alternative for calcium that she needs to take. can she be on any tablets or syrups, which shud not effect the baby aswell.

Please advice and I appreciate for the answers to get.

Posted Wed, 11 Jul 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 5 hours later

Thanks for writing to us

Regarding sex after child birth : Yes you can go for it as it is 2 months after delivery but should take precautions as one can conceive during lactational period also

It is better to do spacing upto 3 yrs and the best prolonged method is an IUCD or intrauterine device insertion

Your wife is having breast engorgement so it is better to use a breast pump after doing hot fomentation

She can take calcium supplements instead of milk but the requirement is upto 1500 mgm per day so she should take calcium citrate along with Vit D , it comes in the form of tablets and Vit D sachets are available which are to be taken 60,000 IU per week or according to your doctor's prescription and guidance

Best wishes for the family

Any further query is most welcome