Is it safe to go on the HCG diet/shots during hepatitis C?

Is it safe to go on the HCG diet/shots if I have hepatitis C? I am a 45 years old male, I am 5'4 and weigh 195 lbs. I have been on 2 treatments of interferon shots 2005-2006 and the hepatitis came back.
I am concerned that the HCG shots might affect my liver more or that the high amount of fat that the liver has to process might also affect it. Please advise. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 1 hour later

Liver condition (which includes Hepatitis C) is a contra-indication for HCG shots/diet. So to say it is definitely better for you to avoid HCG shots/diet.

Further more research have shown that HCG shots by itself cannot cause weight reduction. Weight reduction that occurs in HCG shots/diet is mainly due to calorie restriction that accompanies this regimen.

This is specifically mentioned on the HCG package itself.
"HCG has not been demonstrated to be effective adjunctive therapy in the treatment of obesity. There is no substantial evidence that it increases weight loss beyond that resulting from caloric restriction, that it causes a more attractive or “Normal” Distribution of fat, or that it decreases the hunger and discomfort associated with calorie-restricted diets."

More over HCG is not recommended by FDA (Food and Drug Administration) for its use in weight loss regimens.

Therefore i suggest you to go for a simple weight loss diet and exercise regimen and to definitely avoid "HCG shots/diet" for your weight loss.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.