Is it safe to go for colonoscopy while on sudafed?

Oncologist, Radiation
I took 24 hour sudafed on 3 occasions between the dates of feb 6th thru feb 7th at about 12:30pm east. time... I have a colonoscopy scheduled for monday morning at 6:30am; is the sudafed going to be a problem for me? I've otherwise followed all of the doctors instructions; I really NEEDED the sudafed because I was VERY congested and could hardly breathe
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Colon Cancer
Answered by Dr. Dipanjan Majumder 45 minutes later

You are using sudafed. The original formulation of Sudafed contains the active ingredient pseudoephedrine, but formulations without pseudoephedrine are also being sold under the Sudafed brand.

Pseudoephedrine stimulate alpha receptor in blood vessel wall and causing constriction.Thus, by constriction of blood vessels, mainly those located in the nasal passages, pseudoephedrine causes a decrease in the symptoms of nasal congestion.

There are some case reports concluding
The vasoconstrictive action of pseudoephedrine may predispose susceptible patients to develop ischemic colitis in the watershed area of the splenic flexure.[ part of small intestine] Perimenopausal women may be especially susceptible because of irregular ovulation. This may result in relative vasoconstriction when estrogen levels are low or a hypercoagulable state when estrogen levels are excessive.

In this report patients were taking this medicine for more than 6 months.

In your case two days history of sudafed will make no change, but it will be better if you can take topical pseudoephedrine preparation.

Consult you doctor in this issue. Keep me posted for further query.