Is it safe to give'Oflomac forte' for vomiting and loose stools to a baby?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
My 15months old baby is vomiting while feeding her rice from past 2 days and motions are also there twice a day. Doctor suggested oflomac forte for her. Can I give this to her as it is a antibiotic.
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not needed Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing to health care magic. Vomiting and loose stools are usually viral in nature. Usually antibiotics are given only if there is blood in stools or if the child is toxic with persistent fever. ORS along with probiotics like bifilac are usually given. Zinc drops 20 mg once daily is recommended universally for atleast 10 days. So you can wait before starting antibiotics. Make sure your kid is passing urine atleast 6 times daily. Regards Dr Arun