Is it safe to give chayawanprash to a 18 moths old?

Ayurveda Specialist
my daughter is 18 months old. when can we start chavanprash. how many days once
Posted Tue, 18 Mar 2014 in Ayurveda
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 13 hours later
Brief Answer: chaywanprash & Immunity Measures Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thanks for contacting Ayurveda with your health concern and following are the recommendations. [I will be limiting myself to the AGE concerned since intake differ in different age groups and have different functions] 1. It is recommended as a curative and restorative medicine in children's. 2. Good Immunomodulation/Rasayan (tonic): regular intake of chayawanprash help to increase NK cells (Natural Killer Cells) which are an essential part of body’s immune system and thus fights and protect the body from bacterial, viral, and fungal infections. 3. chayawanprash main content is 'AMLA' which contains 30 times more vitamin C than any other source, thus making it a powerful immuno modulator. 4. In my clinical practice I usually recommend to take/start Chyawanprash from 4 years of age in a dose of 1/4 to 1 teaspoon twice a day with milk, water and before meals. PS. make sure it is not consumed at once, because since it is type of jam thus should be licked in small portions abling it to get dissolved in the and if you are starting it make sure that recommended course is 3 months. 5. since chaywanprash apart from sweet/sour also contains spicy herbs thus may cause gastric irritation and your daughter intestine might not be able to digest some herbs or tolerate the heat, so will recommend you the following guidelines: . Rasayana drugs: potentiates humoral antibodies, by increasing serum Immunoglobulin’s such as IgA,IgG and IgM. i. Proteins are essential for antibodies production so milk, egg (white), beans, yogurt,soyamilk,pumpkin,squash,watermelon,peanuts,almonds are choices ii. Vitamin A: helps to maintain Thymus gland which is a powerful antiviral gland : thus mango,carrots,cantaloupe, egg yolk,apricots,pumpkin,papaya, are ideal iii. Vitamin C: is needed for proper functioning of immune system: amla (आमला) is best iv. Vitamin E: is a powerful anti oxidant which helps to stimulate antibody production: peanuts, dried apricots, cooked spinach, taro root can be taken v. Vitamin B is important for the activity of phagocytes: eggs, cheese, pistachio, raw garlic, sunflower and sesame oil. vi. at her age these supplements are ideal apart fro mother's milk [ if breast feeding] which will provide natural immunity for her. [ragi, rice Kanji, porridges made of wheat, oats are good at her age] PS. It is the best tonic for respiratory system, and since children age group is Kapha dominant and in Ayurveda main seat of kapha [mucus] is lungs thus is the best tonic for them after 3-4 years. Dr. Munish Sood Consultant & Physician Naimittika