Is it safe to give Humira injections in the buttock area?

Feb 2016

General Surgeon
I gave my 17 yr old son his first injections of Humira last night for Crohns disease. I gave it to him in the buttocks area, pulling the skin up about 2 inches (tough because he has no body fat) and gave him 2 injections on each side. The pamphlet says in the thigh and stomach areas... Was giving it in the butt ok? Isn't the buttocks areaStazgibber a sub-q spot?
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Not to worry. Giving in the buttock was ok. Detailed Answer: Hi, Giving Humira injections in the buttock area is not a problem unless there is swelling / pain/ bruising. These injections can be painful , so it is advised to be given in stomach or thigh area, wherein the intensity of pain is less, can be iced easily, can be seen easily by the patient. So no worry. Regards