Is it recommended to go for varicocelectomy inpite of diagnosed with Bilateral varicocele and low sperm motility?

Infertility Specialist
Question
I have been diagnosed with Bilateral varicocele with dilated vein measuring 2.2mm on right and 2.4mm on left with reflux on valsalva. I DFI of 35% have low sperm motility and morphology , is it recomended to go for varicocelectomy ?
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: No Detailed Answer: Hi It is not necessary to undergo varicocelectomy. Even undergoing varicocelectomy does not guarantee return of normal semen parameters. Please repeat your semen analysis and DFI in a different laboratoty. change your life style to healthy living. Let me know if you have any more questions. Regards Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Is it recommended to go for varicocelectomy inpite of diagnosed with Bilateral varicocele and low sperm motility? 40 minutes later
I have got DFI done 3 times. Starting : 45% DFI ( LAB A) after 21 days of FSH/LH injection and Therstrone pills : 35% ( Lab A) after 6 weeks of Maxoza-L ( fsh/lh injections and pills stopped), twice daily : 65% at Lab B i'm really confused! , I asked LAB A , they said they use Analine Blue method , Lab B repost said they use Acretene Orange Method. Lab A gave me resuts the very next day, where as Lab B took 7 days to test. Does it take so long to test?

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: no Detailed Answer: Hi The test can be done on same day. Some labs send it to different place or wait for expert to arrive. So gets delayed. In india none of these methods are standard and cant be relied. So dont take decision to operate based on these values. You don't need FSH/LH or testosterone injections. Varicocelectomy doesn't guarantee cure. Try getting IUI done for infertility treatment. Regards

Follow-up: Is it recommended to go for varicocelectomy inpite of diagnosed with Bilateral varicocele and low sperm motility? 20 minutes later
I'm totally confused whether to go in for IUI or ICSI, from what i read online , DFI above 30 % has only 3 % chance of live birth and high miscarriage rate. Does ICSI have a Higher live birth rate after ferilization success? I really want to minimize miscarriage possiblity .... I also came accross some advise on internet asking to take Antioxidants for 3 months to improve DFI before undergoing IVF / ICSI ...what do you suggest? I also came accross one lab in coiambatore ( andrologycenter.in) , which claims to be an authorised testing center for SCSA (R) .. can they be relied upon?

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 8 hours later
Brief Answer: ICSI Detailed Answer: Hi, You can take antioxidants for 3 months. They do have a role in improving DFI and associated semen problems. ICSI is anyday better as it gives higher fertilization rates and chances of pregnancy. So please opt for ICSI. Better to do it after 3 months of antioxidant treatment. The lab in coimbatore you mentioned might be doing SCSA but i am not aware of it. You can get it done. But the treatment remains same after getting report. Hence better to go ahead with ICSI. Dont believe every literature written about DFI. DFI analysis is still in evolving phase of science. Regards

Follow-up: Is it recommended to go for varicocelectomy inpite of diagnosed with Bilateral varicocele and low sperm motility? 3 days later
Thankyou for your advise. I Just got tested for DFI again from Lab A , as my wifes cycle is approaching. However my DFI was found to be 56% , up from 35 % from lab a in mid XXXXXXX , I have been on antioxidant Maxoza-L since mid XXXXXXX . what could be the reason for this sudden jump? i was expecting it to decrease!

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: not reliable Detailed Answer: Hi These testing methods are not standard and not reliable. They show lot of variations. Absolutely no use on relying on them. Instead go ahead with infertility treatment like IUI or iVF / ICSI. Regards