Is it possible to remove the Mirena coil without operation?

I have just been to my GP to have my merina coil removed. Unfortunatley the threads broke off and the coil didn't come out. I am being booked in for an ultrasound scan, however I'm not sure what will happen after that, will it still be possible to have it removed without an operation?
Thank you
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later

The ultrasound will determine the exact position of the coil.
Depending on the position,it will be decided whether it can be removed without operation.If the threads were still visible,then its likely that the coil has not migrated or embedded into the uterine wall.
Most often,a hook is used to remove the coil under ultrasound guidance.
Only if the coil has been embedded in the uterine wall or moved higher up,then the procedure may need to be done under anaesthesia.