Is it possible to get pregnant while on contraceptive pills?

May 2013
I have been taking Loestrin regularly for over a year. I had unprotected sex three months ago. I had a period a month later which was normal. I am three weeks late in getting my period this month. I have not had sex six that first time two to three months ago. i have had irregular periods while taking Loestrin. I took a pregnancy test yesterday which was positive. Could it be a false positive test? I took another one this evening and it too was positive.
Posted Sat, 21 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Blood test for pregnancy Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. If you took the contraceptive pills as per the schedule there is less possibility for pregnancy. Usually contraceptive pills will give around 99% protection when used properly. If you missed any pill or altered the time of intake of pill, there is possibility of pregnancy. Urine pregnancy test kit sometimes can give false positive results. This depends on sample taken, the time gap between adding the sample and reading the result etc. So, better to go for blood test for pregnancy once. Quantitative blood test will give more accurate result compared with urine test. Possibly by doing blood test the possibility of pregnancy can be ruled out. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.
Follow-up: Is it possible to get pregnant while on contraceptive pills? 1 hour later
My other concern is that I am having extreme right sided lower stomach pain like I did when I have my ovarian cyst. Should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Ultrasound Detailed Answer: Hi, Usually hormonal pills will help in decreasing the size of the simple ovarian cysts. But as your pregnancy test result was positive, better to consult gynecologist once and get examined. With her advice go for ultrasound. Ultrasound helps in: -Ruling out the possibility of pregnancy. -To detect the present status of ovarian cysts. -And to rule out rare possibilities like ectopic pregnancy. Take care.