Is it possible to detect congenital heart disease with a stethoscope?

my grandson passed away at the age of 7 days. the autopsy said he had 2 holes in his heart. one pinpoint and one 0.3 x0.8 cm. the doctor in delivery never listened to his heart. could this been detected by a stethoscope?
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Sorry for your loss Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query I am extremely sorry for your loss. It looks like your grandson had a cyanotic heart disease which lead to his early demise. Most congenital heart disease have characteristic murmurs which can be heard with a stethoscope but if one is not careful it can be missed because the infants usually have a fast heart rate. However I must add here that purple finger nails are not normal and it signifies cyanosis ( reduced oxygen supply to the peripheries) I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me Regards