Is it possible to cure age-related macular degeneration? Almost blind

Is it possible to cure Aged-related macular degeneration ? My father is only 40 years-old but he got this disease since he was a teenager. This disease is becoming more and more worst. Today, my father said that he cannot see anything at all, almost blind. Therefore, is it possible to cure this thing and if it is possible, where can I cure this.
I don't sure when his problem was start ,but his vision was bad when he was a teenager but in that time his vision was just blur. But he told me that his vision is becoming more and more "dark". and nowadays he told me that he almost cannot see anything.

Thank you very much for your attention
Posted Thu, 7 Jun 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 2 hours later
thanks for referring your query to us.
I am very sure that your father had got himself checked up properly and there is no doubt about the diagnosis.Ideally this is not the way ARMD behaves.
The onset is too early. That is not when ARMD starts.
Patients are not supposed to loose full vision.To understand this you have to have some idea of the disease.It is the central area which is involved,with the end result of scarring,whereby patient is not able to see in front but the peripheral vision is quiet good,this is not happening with your father.
I would like to have your father reassessed.Have his fundus examination done and flourocine angiography performed After having this examination done we will know exactly where do we stand.
Please do get back to meif needed.
Follow-up: Is it possible to cure age-related macular degeneration? Almost blind 9 hours later
Dear Dr. Misra

Thank you for your answer. I will take my father to examination soon.
After I got the result, I will sent them to you.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 17 minutes later
Please do have a proper examination and if needed please do get back to me