Is it normal to spit small amount of blood from throat after vomiting?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi! This morning i forced myself to vomit then after i cleared my throat and i spit out a little amount of blood then it stopped but i took a nap later and when i woke up felt something in my throat went to bathroom to clear out my throat and i spit out a small amount of blood should i be worried?
Posted Wed, 25 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. There is no need to be worried since this is commonly seen and usually this is just sign of throat irritation or infection, mouth ulcer, tooth disease or respiratory infection or it can occur when some capillary in throat breaks due to coughing,sneezing etc. Also it can be seen in smoker and alcohol drinkers. Some serious causes are less possible,especially in your age,such as tumors. I dont think that you need medical attention at this point.just drink plenty of fluids and clear your throat frequently. If this persists for 1-2 weeks or fever,chest pain and cough occur,you should do ENT examination for further evaluation. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards