Is it normal to heart papalitations?

ENT Specialist
Hi i can hear my heart papalitations in my ears is this normal. If not what would be the cause.
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. It is normal to hear your heartbeat if there are fluctuations in blood pressure or in the heartbeat such as in cases of anemia, hypertension (high blood pressure), thyroid problems and so on. If this is happening in both ears, it has to be a common cause. 2. A blocked ear such as with ear wax or a cold (fluid in the middle ear behind an intact eardrum) leads to a conductive hearing loss. Eustachian tube dysfunction may be present. This may cause you to hear your heart beat. Hence an ear examination and hearing tests are necessary. 3. Sometimes it is a 'pulsatile tinnitus' where turbulent blood flow is heard. A Neck Vessel Doppler study may help. Certain conditions such as an aberrant/ damaged blood vessel or a tumor may only be seen on an MRI. However these are extremely rare and are more likely to cause a hearing loss. Hence the importance of the hearing tests. 4. Other rare causes include myoclonus of the middle ear muscles or palatal myoclonus. I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.