Is it normal to have tender nipples post hysteroscopy and D&C for polyp removal?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Excellent
Question
I had hysteroscopy and D&C on Dec. 23. to remove polyps. Today my nipples are tender to the touch. not the aerola just the nipples. What can be the reasoning for this?
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Basically there is no corelation between the procedure you had and the nipple tenderness. Please mention your age and menstrual status also. Nipple tenderness could be hormonal, it is physiological at some stages of life, such as premenstrually, during your periods, pregnancy, post an abortion , during ovulation sometimes. It can also occur due to cold weather. The fabric of your bra, if it is a tight fitting underwired one, can chronically irritate the nipple leading to tenderness. Overstimulation during masturbation or intercourse can sometimes lead to minor residual tenderness. Do not worry much about it. It would pass of in a few days by itself. Just wear a comfortable bra and layer yourself if it is cold. If the pain persists / increases or there is a lump / discharge from the nipple, you need to see your doctor. All the best. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.

Follow-up: Is it normal to have tender nipples post hysteroscopy and D&C for polyp removal? 15 minutes later
my age is 43 the Dr. did a D&C and told me i should no longer have a period.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Well, you could be undergoing peri menopausal changes, hence the nipple tenderness - as I said, it is hormonally related.