Ask a Urologist   »  

Is it normal to have stomach pain and urine infection with a stent in ureter after robotic surgery?

General Surgeon
My wife got a robotic surgery to remove a piece of some tissue on her left ureter, luckly that tissue is not any sort of cancer. Doctor put a stent in the ureter for three months. It is almost 35 days past. Now my question is... 1. She feels pains in left side of stomach, is it surgery pain or stent pain ? 2. Can the tissue re-appear in future ? 3. Is the urine infection is common in during stent inside? 4. Sevral time she feels temp. upto 100 degree is it normal ? 5. One thing also, her left kidney was only 15% working before surgery in compare to 31 % in july, can it revive some ? thankyou
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer: To rule out Urinary tract infection Detailed Answer: Namasthe Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day I would like to answer all your query in continuity. Presence of pain in abdomen, and in the presence of foreign object like stent in the ureter along with presence of fever: One should rule out Urinary tract infection as the cause of symptoms. I would suggest you to get Urine Microscopic examination and Ultrasound abdomen to rule out Urinary tract infection as the cause of symptoms. If the investigation are normal and also there is no evidence of surgical site infection then there seem to be no cause of concern. Presence of any foreign matter in body like stent may predispose to occurence of infection. The prognosis for whether the tissue removed from ureter recurrs depends on type of tissue - histopathology of the tissue. The prognosis of Renal function improving post surgery depends on the duration of obstruction and pathology of the tissue of ureter being removed. It would be very useful if you could get back with detailed pre-operative history, duration of symptoms, detailed investigation including the renal scan, ultrasound and Renal function test. Also let me know about the Histopathology report of excised tissue of the ureter. Waiting for your reply. Take Care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS,MS,MCH Consultant Surgeon