Ask a Dentist   »  

Is it normal to have space between upper and lower teeth at resting position?

Hello, when my mouth is at rest (closed), my upper and lower teeth do not touch each other. Its like they are aligned with a space of 1mm. If i try to bring my lower jaw in, for the lower teeth to touch the inside of upper teeth, my face looks really awful.. Is it normal that the teeth dun XXXXXXX at rested position..I do not have any pain in the teeth or jaw.. and during eating my teeth touch each other.
Posted Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 47 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us,
I am glad to inform you that it is absolutely normal to have a space(less than 4mm) between your upper and lower teeth at a rest position.
In fact, if the teeth XXXXXXX at rest position, it is a painful condition.
There is nothing to be concerned about,
I hope this answer was useful,
If you have any further queries for me , kindly write back,
I wish you good health.
Follow-up: Is it normal to have space between upper and lower teeth at resting position? 1 hour later

Thanks for your reply. I am glad to know that its normal.
Just wanted to provide some more information to be sure.
I once visited a dentist and he said that the way i close my mouth is incorrect. He said that the mouth should be closed in such a way that the lower teeth should be behind the upper teeth which is how most people have and that's not the case with me. My lower teeth is below the upper teeth.

I tried to bring my lower jaw a bit inside so that the lower teeth is inside but the face looked really weird.

Please let me know if its still normal.
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 3 hours later
Hello sir,
Thanks for writing back,
I would like you to know that we classify the alignment of teeth into 3 classes.Approximately, 50% of the population has class I , about 30% has a class II and the remaining have class III.
And whatever history you give suggests a class III occlusion.
There is nothing abnormal ,
In some cases we need to correct it with surgery or orthodontic treatment.
But if its not bothering you then there you should not be concerned..
In all probability, one of your parents must have had such an occlusion from where you got it, but you don't have to worry at all, its absolutely normal.
I hope I answered your query.
I wish you good health.