Is it normal to have severe unilateral pelvic pain?

Is it ever normal for severe menstrual pain to suddenly appear only on the right side? For the past 3 months, I've had sudden, short bursts of severe pain only on the right side of my lower abdomen near my hip, right around the start of my period. I still have the normal all-over cramps as well, but they're not severe. This pain takes my breath away sometimes. I'm 37, no pregnancies, monogamous, and in generally good health, other than iron deficiency anemia. I'm also living temporarily outside the US, and good medical care is not readily available.
Posted Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 28 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Unilateral pelvic pain can be as a result of different conditions.
It may be related to the reproductive system, the urinary tract, in particular the bladder and the intestines.
Since the pain occurs just prior to your period it is most likely related to the reproductive system.
The most common causes of pelvic pain in this system are (1) ovarian pathology such as an ovarian cyst , there are other ovarian conditions that may contribute to pain (2)due to an endometrial deposit in endometriosis- this is a condition that is a common cause of pelvic pain, it is related to deposition of parts of the endometrium in different parts of the pelvis.
(3) infection
(4)adhesions- these are more likely if there is a previous history of surgery

Exact diagnosis of the cause of the pain would require an examination of the abdomen and possibly a specula and pv examination by a doctor who may then suggest that an abdominal pelvic ultrasound to be done.

Treatment depends on the result of the ultrasound.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions