Is it normal to have headaches at the age of 6?

Nov 2013

Is it normal for my healthy 6 yr old son to be having such bad headaches he feels like getting sick? This sounds like a migraine to me... at 6 though? I have mentioned it to our family doctor when I had brought my son in for a different reason, he brushed my comment aside like it wasn't a big deal. I'm concerned he has at least 4 or 5 per month.
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 28 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.
Your suspicion is absolutely correct. What your son is having is migraine. It is quite common for migraine to affect children of his age, referred to as pediatric or childhood migraine.

Since he is having frequent episodes of headaches, he may benefit from preventive migraine therapy. Effective drugs in children include divalproex, beta blockers, flunarizine and cyproheptadine. Using the medications would reduce the frequency and severity of headaches.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar Md DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist