Is it normal for GRF rate to fluctuate?

CKD 3, High Blood Pressure, Thyroiditis/Hashimotos Disease Question re. current GFR of 34, current BUN is 30, current Creatinine at 1.59, Microalbumin/Crt Rat at 25. My GFT has been at 39 up to 43 from 2008 to present. Creatinine has been 1.6 or less since 2008, so that's been steady. My doctors were puzzled because in 2007 I had creatinine above 2.0 to 2.5 and GFR around 29/31, they didn't know why my kidney was doing that then improved. I did have a huge weight loss in 2007 is the only thing I can correlate, and lost weight too fast. They believe the cause is primarily High Blood Pressure and Lithium Toxicity. Question: Does this look like a downward trend for my kidneys or perhaps a temporary situation with GFR. Can GFR go up and down?Sorry, I was diagnosed in 2007 as my creatinine was gradually climbing.
Posted Sun, 22 Dec 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Pratap VGM 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Variation of GFR is related to disease progression Detailed Answer: Dear, Query reviewed.. Your doubts are related to variation in the GFR rate. Does it improve??? If the fall in filtration rate is due to any sudden cause like fever etc.. There will be temporary fall in GFR, but once it subsides then it will improve. But that is not in your condition, you are already suffering from chronic kidney disease, and chronic conditions like high blood pressure and hashimoto thyroiditis which needs lifelong medications. Therefore, there will be vertical progression of kidney disease but what best you can do is to decrease the rate of progression of disease. You can consult your doctor and include the reno protective drugs to your medicines list like acetylcystiene and taurine so that it will decrease the creatinine levels. Hope this will be helpful. Thanks.