Ask a Urologist   »  

Is it dangerous to have dark yellow urine in the morning?

I occasionally have dark yellow/ yellow orange urine in the morning. I know it's because I'm not drinking enough water, but when is it dangerous? I'm not dehydrated and I'm not having back or abdominal pain. I drink at least 16oz of water daily.
Posted Sat, 21 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Your water intake can be increased slightly------- Detailed Answer: Welcome to the forum. Normal urine output is about 1500 mls a day on an average. The minimum amount of urine needed to excrete waste products of metabolism is about 750 ml. So the minimum needed urine a day is about 750 mls. Anything less than that is XXXXXXX But normally one does not measure the urine output. Here is how the body thirst mechanism works. Anyone dehydrated needs to take water, as thirst sensation occurs. This prevents one from getting dehydrated and thereby protect the kidneys. Though the kidneys put out urine, if the urine volume reduces, it means the blood flow to the kidney is low. In this situation kidney start to fail and it is called renal failure. So, in short if the urine output is low, it means the blood flow to kidneys is less due to various reasons depending on the cause. So the doctor makes attempts to improve the blood flow if that is possible. There are other types of kidney failure where even if the blood flow is normal, kidneys may not work. This is called chronic kidney disease which typically occurs in diabetes and is due to end organ damage due to diabetes. With this background information, let me come to your situation. Your intake seems sufficient, though a little increase may change the colour of urine. If you are not able to increase by plain water, you can supplement with fruit juices, coconut water or other diary related beverages. Low output can be XXXXXXX if there is associated swelling of the legs and swollen face. Hope this helps Truly