Is it advisable to take metoclopramide for tension headache?

My son is 11.5 and has a tension headache - temples consistent pain and recurring pain across the forehead. He is light sensitive and has a sloshy feeling in his stomach. I think it is his first ever migraine. It is likely caused by being in the son for too long yesterday - he has had some electrolytes and is staying hydrated. He had had a panadol to little effect. My question is: can he take Metoclopramide at his age. Tablets are 10mg. He is allergic to codeine and its family.
Posted Sun, 1 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please consult neurologist for further evaluation. Detailed Answer: Hi, Before going for such drugs, I strongly suggest to consult a neurologist and to find out the right cause of the headache of your child. Metoclopramide is used only when the benefits your son gets are higher than the side effects. It is too young to start with such drugs. First, be sure what is causing the headache to your child. Then, discuss with the doctor for the best treatment with less side effects. At the end, you can start the therapy (after discussing) safely to your son. Hope it helped in answering your questions! If you have more concerns, do not hesitate to write me back! I'd be happy to assist you further! Dr.Sejdini