Is high B12 associated with leukemia and liver disease?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Just got blood work done. CBC and liver tests (alp and alt) were well within normal ranges. B12 was 670pmol/L (907ng/l). Two years ago it was half that. I get muscle Fasciculations (BFS), so my neurologist said to take 1000mcg/day supplement. I have taken it on and off for the past 2 years, but on for the past two months. Just read high B12 can be associated with leukemias/liver disease. Also read supplements can't raise the blood B12 levels this much. I feel ok. If anything i have symptoms of low B12, which is why we checked it. Should I be worried.
Posted Fri, 7 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: You need not to worry. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. You had read correct that high B12 can be associated with leukemias/liver disease and consumption of cobalamin containing foods or supplements do not increase plasma Cobalamin levels substantially. You need not to worry as your CBC and liver tests were well within normal ranges. Benign fasciculation syndrome occurs due to nerve hyperactivity and if uncomfortable can be treated with medications which calm the nerves such as gabapentin or pregabalin. Discuss these with your neurologist. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care