Is heart burn a symptom of perimenopause ?

Hi..I am a 44 year old relatively healthy female. Up until recently I have had regular periods. Since the end of February I have had mild heartburn (burning in throat and ears) and saw my doctor for it... Was put on Dexilant 60mg qd and saw no change whatsoever. Also had upper GI series completed and that showed moderate reflux. Called doc and they changed me to Prilosec OTC and I did the full regimen of 14 days. ...didn't help. Also during this time I had frequent bouts of hot flashes (day and night). My question is, is heartburn sometimes part of perimenopause? I have not had a period since mid March. I am to call a Gastroenterologist about scheduling an EGD to investigate the heartburn further. I feel like I'm falling apart!!
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 hours later
Hi Genene,

Thanks for your query,

Yes, The heart burns/GERD could also be part of perimenopausal symptoms.

One cycle of Proton pump inhibitors may not be helpful in some cases , hence a repeat cycle with a gap of one week may be needed with the same drug, ask about the same to your gastro specialist.

Before getting a EGD done I would suggest you to consult a Gynecologist and present to her/him about the hot flashes and the heart burn,Sometimes treatment of the perimenopusal illness can solve any such indirectly related problems.

Consuming ginger root extract mixed with honey early in the morning has shown best results in GERD not treated by proton pump inhibitors.

Do avoid spicy and hot foods, consume food at regular timing.
If possible take few small meals several times in a day, instead of large ones.

Avoid alcohol, smoking, carbonated beverages, tomato sauce, onion, garlic, citrus fruits and chocolates all these contribute to GERD. Avoid orange juice on an empty stomach.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.