Is h pylori a contagious disease?

My father had H Pylori. I live with him till I was 4. I have shared food with him rarely and never really shared drinks, but he has with my mom, who I do share with. I am now freaking out that I am at high risk of H Pylori. I am also worried because it means I cant kiss anyone since I can infect them. Do I have to tell romantic partners about this? I am so confused.
Posted Thu, 18 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 27 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini, Gastroenterologist and i am pleased to answer your question.

It is not confirmed whether you have H.pylori infection.
Even if you have H.pylori infection it can be treated with a course of triple or quadruple antibiotics.

I would like to have some more information before I can give my opinion regarding what to do next.

1. What symptoms does your father have?

2. How was his H.pylori infection diagnosed?

3. Was he treated for that?

4. If treated, was eradication of H.pylori confirmed?

Kindly get back to me with the answers and I would give my opinion.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow-up: Is h pylori a contagious disease? 22 minutes later
I don't remember his symptoms, I just know he was in pain. I believe he was diagnosed by a breath test. He was treated for it , I m pretty sure it was successful.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 13 hours later
Thanks for providing the information I wanted.

The risk of transmission of H.pylori from your father through your mother to you is very unlikely. Moreover since your father got treated for it, it is less likely that he is still having that infection.

Since you are unlikely to have H.pylori infection, you are not at high risk of transmitting it to anyone including your romantic partners. :-)

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini