Is frequent use of coliacid for infantile colic safe for baby and are there any side effects?

Hi Doc, My baby is 22 days old. She had frequent evening colic (crying, feeding, crying feeding). Doctor has prescribed colicacid 8 drops before her colic episode. After taking it she is okay, but late night she again starting crying and doc recommend to use it again. (in conjunction with atrax). Is it right ? Also i wanna ask on when to give colacid ? how many drops usually ? Any side effect ?
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi.Colicacid is for infantile colic Detailed Answer: Hello.Welcome and thanks for writing us on XXXXXXX Your doctor's has advised in the rightly and please follow up with him. Colicacid is a Gastrointestinal regulator and is used for Infantile colic. In Infant <6 mths: 5-10 drops is given with feeds. Colicacid can be given 3-4 times/day when needed. In my practice is have not seen any side effects for this medication so far. Medical supervision is required only when there is any itching, redness, swelling of face/tongue- which are due to allergy and are very rare. Your daughter will get well soon. Hope this helps. Keep us posted for further queries.
Follow-up: Is frequent use of coliacid for infantile colic safe for baby and are there any side effects? 16 hours later
Hi doc, Today after giving colicaid, there seems to be no change in her crying pattern. She was continuously crying. Also, doctor recommended Neopeptine (8 drops morning - evening) ? How is this medicine work ? Any side effect ? Normally, after giving this medicine she poop but today she has not pooped since evening. Please advice. In my last query, I inquired about Atarzx medicine too.
Answered by Dr. Praveen 18 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi.Neopeptine has digestive enzymes Detailed Answer: Hello.Thanks for writing back. If you feel the baby's is crying or behavior unusually/abnormally its better to discuss with your doctor. Neopeptine drops have digestive enzymes (amylase & papain) & reduces the amount of abdominal pain from gas discomfort the baby goes through & is given for indigestion. Side effects are nausea, loose stools etc. Babies generally poop if they do not like the taste.If your baby do not poop after Neopeptine and is active you need not worry otherwise I suggest to go for follow up. Atarax is used to prevent regurgitation of stomach contents and also relieves stomach pain. Hope this helps. Thanks.