Is fatigue caused due to high blood sugar?

Oct 2013

I am a type 2 diabetic,had pancreautitis lost 24 lbs and now I feel totally worn out. blood sugar not very well controlled. I take 2000 mg metformin and 18 units of lantus solostar. I am almost afraid to eat due to b/s counts. I also am now experiencing horrible fatigue is this due to high b/s counts? b/s counts range from 200 to over 500. is it possible a food problem?
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Namala Bharadwaj 1 hour later
Brief Answer: fatigue due to high sugar, food might not be prob. Detailed Answer: Hello dear XXXX, Thanks for your query at chm, I understand your concern. Type 2 daibetes with past history of pancreatitis with uncontrolled sugar levels might be due to decrease in insulin reserve due to pancreatitis. During pancreatitis insulin secreting cells might have been damaged leading to uncontrollable blood sugar levels. My recommendation would be get insulin reserve test by various stimulatory test to know about how musch insulin secreting cells are present and manage accordingly by adjusting dose of insulin and metformin for better blood sugar level controls. Fatigue can be due to high uncontrolled blood sugar levels. Food might not have been problem in your case it might be due to reduction of insulin secreting cells. Hope i answered your query . Any further information we can discuss in follow up query. Regards.
Follow-up: Is fatigue caused due to high blood sugar? 8 hours later
thank you for your time.I will speak to my m.d. and get this resolved I hope.
Answered by Dr. Namala Bharadwaj 9 hours later
Brief Answer: thank you for reply. Detailed Answer: Hello dear XXXX. Thank you for your reply and accepting my advice. Wish you happy and healthy life.