Is enlarged circumvallate papillae caused due to sinus infection?

ENT Specialist
34 year old female, former smoker, 5'3", 250lbs. Had a cold or sinus infection that cleared after about 2 weeks. Was feeling well for about 2 weeks but recently started waking up with a sore throat and getting thick/sticky mucus when blowing my nose in the mornings. Just noticed yesterday what appears to be swollen/enlarged circumvallate papillae - can this be caused by sinus infection/post nasal drip?
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes. Rule out reflux, fungus, deficiency. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. Yes, it seems likely that the inflammation on the tongue is due to the post nasal drip following a sinusitis. 2. You should get a direct examination done to rule out acid reflux (some times due to the medication) and fungal infections. Nutritional and vitamin deficiency may also lead to a glossitis. 3. This may not require any active treatment, unless it persists. probiotics and multi-vitamins may help if gatritis or acid reflux is detected. I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.