Is elevated ESR a matter of concern?

I recently had my blood work done and I have a elevated Sedimentation rate (ESR). The ESR is 24 mm/hr (reference range 0-15). Is the elevated ESR a concern? Do I need any tests for the further evaluation? Thanks for your expert advice. Best Regards XXXX
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No tests at present... Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX At the outset, you need to know that ESR is a non specific marker. A specific cause cannot be determined based on ESR alone. Generally it is followed up with other tests to isolate / diagnose medical condition. However marginal elevation of 24 needs no further testing at this point. You probably are recovering from flu infection. Headache, myalgia, weakness are common post viral symptoms. It takes couple of weeks before you will feel better. I encourage you to drink plenty of water and have fresh fruits and vegetables. You can repeat ESR and complete hemogram if you continue to feel unwell after 2 weeks. Your doctors can take a call to investigate further based on your symptoms and the repeat ESR value. I hope this information is helpful. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards