Is chest infection the reason for spots on chin and near areas ?

my husband had a chest infection 6 weeks ago since that cleared up he has spots mainly on his chin and underchin area on his face. He has been told by someone that this could be linked and he should go back to the doctor (he is in his early fifities)
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

I think the spots has nothing do with chest infection that he had.At time of active infection if at all it has appeared some correlation might be there but not after 6 weeks.

In case of some viral infection this kind of spots are common.This spots could now be due to some local allergy,like some cosmetic one.

As the spots are restricted to particular area there is no need worry.Watch for there numbers,if they are increasing and involving more area,you need to see a doctor for this.I think this spots are not giving any problem as you have not mentioned.

Just watch out for some form of allergy,other wise there is nothing to worry about.

I hope this answers your query,I will be available for follow up.

Follow-up: Is chest infection the reason for spots on chin and near areas ? 23 hours later
I there any possibilty that this could be linked to alcohol intake? I know it is always easy to blame alcohol for anything. He is a regular drinker though and it is something that has caused me concern.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 11 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

The answer would be No. Alcohol does not seems to have any direct relation with the spots. But could be an etiological factor for systemic illness like Diabetes Mellitus or Hypothyroidism if not investigated for.

It would be better to get examined and evaluated by a Physician. Few investigations like Pre and Post Prandial Blood sugar levels along with HB1AC for diabetes and Thyroid levels for Thyroid abnormalities would be asked to get done.

Apart from this your concern for alcohol is right. It would be better for him to completely avoid Alcohol as it could be a real culprit sometimes later.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish your husband a good health.