Is cefspan 100 mg safe to take while on breastfeeding?

Pediatrician
Question
Is cefspan 100 mg safe for breastfeeding? If not, when breastfeeding woman stop taking it can she immediately breastfeed?
Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 14 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

Cefixime is the active antibiotic in Cefspan that you are taking. No adverse effect has been reported in infants being breastfed by mothers taking this drug. Hence you can continue taking the medicine without worrying for any effects on your infant.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any further clarification.

Wishing you and your infant all the best...

RKK

P.S.: In case you intend closing the discussion then please do rate the answer.

Follow-up: Is cefspan 100 mg safe to take while on breastfeeding? 3 days later
Hello Dr. RKK,

To follow up my last question, is there a report on mother taking this drug and breastfeeding? I could not find any evidence in the Internet to indicate so? I just wanna be sure it is really safe and see that you kind of a member of breastfeeding network in India, so please help me clarify this point. Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 39 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

It will be difficult to find individual case reports on the internet regarding mothers taking this medicine during breastfeeding.

Cefixine is one of the safest antibiotics being used. This is one drug which is extensively used in pediatric practice, where doctors are reluctant to use newer antibiotics for want of long term data on the medicine. So far there are no adverse report to this drug both in breast feeding mothers and in pediatric patients.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

RKK