Is avocado intake safe when suffering from diabetes?

hi, I am recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and having a prehistory of diabetes, my doctor told me to start on cetapin xr 500 once daily, my fasting sugar went down to 99 and ppbs to 150 from 250, my question is on my diet, can I eat fruits like avocado? I am hearing both positive and negative for this, please advice. I was having high cholestrol also but now controlled with 10mg rosovostatin.
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Avocado have very low glycemic index... Detailed Answer: Hi, Avocado are beneficial for its good effects on health. It has properties to cut down LDL and thereby lowers risk of cardiovascular events. Though it has some amount of carbohydrates and large amount of fat (good fat), the glycemic index of is very, very low. You need to eat plenty of this fruit to raise blood sugar. So as a whole avocado is good to your health - both diabetes wise as well as heart wise. You can eat this fruit and other low glycemic index fruits in moderation. Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards