Is alcohol intake advisable in depression?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
My partner has gone to the shops and ended up in nambour mental ward he went beserk is being treated for severe depression and drank a moderate amount of beer in the afternoon he is o 30mg of metarazone he is being treated by a doctor and has other health issues hi 75 years old
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following answer. Detailed Answer: Hi, I read your medical history and feel sorry for the situation your partner is in. To my opinion, the very first thing to do is to treat his depression. That could also alleviate other symptoms he might have. In addition, drinking alcohol will worsen his health condition including depression as alcohol is affecting his brain. On the other hand, his prostate problems will also be worsen while drinking alcohol. Meanwhile, I'd suggest to be close to him and give him support to alleviate his condition. If his doctor wants to keep him in the ward for more time, please have patience until his improvement. All the best to both of you! Dr.Sonila Albana Greca