Is abdominal pain normal after starting Augmentin for diverticulitis and is Miralax safe in this condition?
User rating for this question
I have diverticulitis. I started augmenton on Monday. I'm still feeling some pain on my right abdomen. I thought the pain would be gone by now - is this normal? Also, I took vicodin the first 2 nights and I was afraid of constipation with that medicine so I've been taking miralax every night - is this alright to do?
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: Appropriate antibiotics necessary Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in. The best antibiotic combination for diverticulitis is ciprofloxacin with metronidazole as it covers the entire spectrum of large bowel organisms. Augmentin would not be a good choice of antibiotic.Once the infection is brought under control pain will automatically subside.Mild antispasmodic medications may at times be useful. Avoidance of constipation is very important as constipation will aggravate infection by stagnation as well as by increasing the intraluminal pressure. When the bowel is inflamed no laxative or purgative should be used as far as possible. Avoid constipating medications. If passing stools is problematic then a mild stool softener should suffice. I hope this answers your doubt. Regards
People also viewed
- Pregnant with abdominal pain after sonogram is it normal
- Does diverticulitis cause abdominal pain
- Taking movicol for diarrhea
- Abdominal pain after c-section normal
- Abdominal pain blood in stools diverticulitis or colitis
- Vyvanse for recovering addicts alcoholics
- Symptoms diarrhea sweating nausea tired
- Is it safe to take duromine with thyroxine?
- Nausea vomiting diarrhea and splotchy rash
- Frequent urinarination due to antibiotics
- Will flagyl suffice to cure abdominal pain caused by diverticulitis
- Diarrhea neck pains rash
- Random diarrhea and neasua
- Warticon burning white skin pain gone
- What is the diagnosis for red hot cheeks