Ask a Urologist   »  

Is a bacon like smell of urine due to urinary tract infection?

Good evening - Currently I am battling a series of health issues, but the one I am writing to you about hopefully will be an easy one for you... each time I go to the bathroom I notice a foul odor, that often seems to mimic bacon oddly enough. Historically I have had multiple UTI's, yeast infections and BV but this type of odor is new to me so I am not sure if it is one of those again or not. Recently (3 weeks ago) I took medicine for yeast, but it didn't seem to stop the issue. Slight burning when I urinate but not bad, and urination is slightly up but not much, no itching. I drink approx 60 - 70 ounces of water a day and other than vitamins, only take Nature-throid for my thyroid.
I am 50 years old, 5'4" tall and weigh 175 pounds. Ironically I gained 40 pounds 2 years ago after I discovered I had celiac disease and started going gluten free. I am also currently undergoing treatment for lead poisoning. Last week I had allergy testing done and learned I am highly allergic to eggs, peanuts, tomatoes, wheat, yeast, corn, chocolate and milk - which I am currently trying to cut out.
So I guess my question is - is the odor related to a bacterial infection (BV, UTI or yeast?) the celiac disease or my diet? And what do you recommend I do for it?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 35 minutes later

A bacon like smell of urine without any other symptoms can be indicative of a urinary infection or may be due to high protein content in urine due to hypertension or diabetes.
I would suggest you to go for a routine urine examination.
If it is actually a take plenty of fresh cranberry juice.
Another possible cause can be a renal or a urinary tract calculus which is lodged in the tract somewhere and due to the mucosal injury it is causing, slight bleeding is there which is responsible for the smell.
For diagnosis, an ultrasound scan of lower abdomen is advisable.
Any dietary change is not likely to affect the urinary smell.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Is a bacon like smell of urine due to urinary tract infection? 1 hour later
Thank you! I've been tested for diabetes (negative) and actually have low blood pressure, so chances are it is more likely a UTI then? I have tried taking the cranberry juice but it actually seems to make the matter worse. Cinnamon however seems to help. I've been told that it too can kill off e-coli which can cause infections. I will go and be tested for that but I am curious about the protein you mentioned... since malabsorption is a symptom of celiac, is it possible it too could be the cause?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Most likely it suggests an UTI now.

Excessive protein excretion in urine occurs due to some renal disturbance and not due to any intestinal problem.

So, it is not likely to be due to coeliac disease. Coeliac disease has no relation to the loss of excess proteins in the urine.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.