Is Gardnerella vaginalis transmitted through an intercourse?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
I had intercourse with a male whose wife was just diagnosed with Gardnerelaa vaginalis. They are both taking metronidazole beginning today. Do I need to visit my ob/gyn for treatment? If so how soon?
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Gardnerella vaginalis infection Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for choosing health care magic for your query. I understand your concern regarding acquiring Gardnerella infection from your recent sexual encounter. I want to elaborate on the infection caused by this bacteria and symptoms for you to understand better. Gardnerella vaginalis is a bacteria which causes a non specific vaginitis or vaginosis where typical features of vaginal infection are not present. The only symptoms include typical foul smelling odour which is more commonly observed immediately after intercourse, and mild increase in discharge. I would suggest you undergo vaginal swab testing for microscopy, culture and sensitivity which will help confirm the infection and then you can get a prescription for appropriate antibiotics based on the test results. I hope I have answered your query satisfactorily. Thanks.
Follow-up: Is Gardnerella vaginalis transmitted through an intercourse? 4 hours later
So please confirm: if I am currently not experiencing symptoms, should I still go to my dr and get tested?
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Vaginal swab test will confirm infection Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. I would suggest you go and get yourself tested as it will relive your anxiety regarding acquisition of the infection. As I have mentioned earlier, some patients may not have typical symptoms and treatment is started in them if there is history of exposure and positive vaginal swab culture. I hope I have cleared your doubts. Thanks.