Is Ecosprin intake safe during first trimester of pregnancy?

Infertility Specialist
Hello, Please let me know if ecosprin 75 mg is safe for baby , if taken during first trimester of pregnancy. Doctor has advised this medicine due to history of: 1) high BP during last few weeks of first pregnancy in 29 yrs of age 2) miscarriage at 34 years of age. 3) slightly high BP currently (130/80) in Feb 2014( 35 years of age), and plans to try to conceive. I am very sceptic of taking medicine that may harm the baby. Should I rather try and bring down my BP and then plan pregnancy? Best Regards,
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: Good for you Detailed Answer: Hi, I read your query and I understand your concerns. Following is my reply: 1) It is safe to take the ecosprin 75 mg not only in first trimester but till 32 weeks of gestation. 2) This helps in increasing the blood flow to baby as well keeping your blood vessels open so that the blood pressure effects on you as well as baby is reduced. 3) It helps to prevent miscarriage also. 4) In every way it is infact recommended in women with your history as it has possible benefits and no harm to baby. Let me know if you have anymore questions. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol
Follow-up: Is Ecosprin intake safe during first trimester of pregnancy? 6 minutes later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX Your reply has had a very soothing effect. I was actually reading through questions on ecosprin in pregnancy on this site/forum and came across one case in which the child was born unfortunately without thyroid glands and parent suspected it could have been due to the medicine being taken in first trimester when organs were developing. Please let me know if this could be related. Though I want to go ahead with taking the medicine, should I start it before conception or after positive result? Best Regards,
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: After conception Detailed Answer: Hi, Extensive research has been done on ecosprin and is found to be safe. Occasional birth defects in case like you mentioned could be due to some other associated factors or medications. It is better to start drug as after pregnancy is confirmed as it leads to mild gastritis and acidity if taken daily. Better to avoid before pregnancy. Regards