Is CKD stage 4 and kidney cyst heritable?

Excellent

Nephrologist
Question
I went straight to CKD stage 4, kidney cyst, etc.etc. Is this hereditary?? Should my adult children be tested???
Posted Tue, 25 Mar 2014 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: ADPKD Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX CKD stage 4 is when glomerular filtration rate ( GFR ) goes below 30 ml/min that is when serum creatinine is >2 mg/dl. It is not that the disease straight away goes to stage 4. Generally the early disease is totally asymptomatic and may have only mild hypertension and pedal oedema, so it gets noticed in advanced stage. Kidney cysts may or may not be hereditary. But since you have a history of cranial aneurysms and family history of kidney disease then it is likely to be hereditary condition called Autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease(ADPKD). Your adult children above the age of 30 should be tested with an ultrasound, urine protein estimation and blood pressure check. If the children do not have any cyst at the age of thirty they are not likely to develop the disease in future. Best wishes.

Follow-up: Is CKD stage 4 and kidney cyst heritable? 16 hours later
"But since you have a history of cranial aneurysms and family history of kidney disease then it is likely to be hereditary" I was adopted, don't know of any history of kidney disease, just my mother's death cerebral hemorrhage. " If the children do not have any cyst at the age of thirty they are not likely to develop the disease in future."???????? My cysts were just discovered age 66?????

Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 7 hours later
Brief Answer: cysts in kidney Detailed Answer: Hi, Among the cystic diseases of the kidney ADPKD ( Autosomal dominent kidney disease is common)is the most common and here cysts would become detectable by the age of 30. Did you ever undergo ultrasound examination from 30 yr age till now. if yes , then see if it had cysts in the kidney or not. If the cysts were there then it points towards ADPKD. But suppose you had an ultrasound 10 year back and it was normal. then now the kidney cysts may be just simple cysts occurring with age and which do not have any clinical significance. It could also be that you did not undergo any ultrasound examination till now so the disease just came into light now. In any way the treatment of chronic Kidney disease ( CKD) will remain the same. your adult children should undergo an ultrasound to rule out cystic kidney disease. best wishes.