Irritation in area where nasal tract meets throat. Betadine gargle ineffective. Should the last resort be Azivent?

Have irritation in the area where the nasal tract meets the throat. Tried a betadine gargle, but it cant reach there, so is ineffective. Should the last resort be azivent 500, a tab a day for 2 days?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 20 minutes later

I can understand the irritation the you might be having.

Normally in this season the episodes of viral infection involving nose and throat are high.

In presence of viral infection in the upper respiratory tract you can have pain or irritation in throat, nasal discomfort or watering, mild fever etc.

As you are not having any other complaints viral infection seems to be most likely.

Please try following which should help.

> take steam inhalation with plain water or some herbs like eucalyptus oil at least once daily at night.
>Drink more of liquids like hot soups etc.
>Take routine diet; avoid fried foods and cold drinks.
>Take tablet paracetamol for pain and discomfort.

This normally helps in most of the cases. Please do not take antibiotics on your own, unless prescribed by your doctor after proper examination.

The tablet about which you are asking is an antibiotic.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to answer any follow up queries that you have.

In case you do not have further query, please accept the answer.