Irregular periods and fatigue. Sexually active. What could this be?

hello, ive wanted to ask about my period, I am usually regular, my last regular period was in August 30, then in September I got light brown spotting for 2 days then went away and this occurred a week before I would usually get my period, now October 14 I woke up bleeding I would say its my period, looks like it is I didn't get no brown discharge this time before I got the bleeding when I usually do get my period, but I was wondering why I got so early? the 14? if I usually get mine the 27 or 28? I also was sexually active in the whole month in September, I wasn't on any kind of birth control either. I also have been have much fatigue!
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please test for pregnancy

Detailed Answer:

Your menstrual history for the past two months suggests two things- pregnancy or hormonal imbalance. I would ask you to get a serum beta-hCG assay along with a trans-vaginal sonogram after a complete physical exam by a specialist. It looks like you had an abortive period last cycle and it can happen in early pregnancy due to an implantation bleed; the fact that you have been sexually active throughout adds to this.

Breakthrough bleeding with hormonal imbalance can be suspected if pregnancy is excluded. This can happen with polycystic ovaries, weight disturbances, stress, infections or certain medications. This can be corrected through hormonal supplementation after proper investigation and weight and diet maintenance.

If pregnancy is confirmed, the cause of the present spotting should be ascertained and if you wish to retain the pregnancy, all precautions taken to maintain it. This includes absolute bed rest until the spotting/bleeding subsides, avoidance of intercourse and lifting weights, remaining stress-free, eating a healthy diet and taking adequate liquids besides hormone supplementation as needed. Periodic monitoring is necessary.

If pregnancy is confirmed and if you do not wish to retain it, you can get a medical abortion under the surveillance of a specialist.

Hope your query is clarified. Please contact for further information. I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Irregular periods and fatigue. Sexually active. What could this be? 3 minutes later
what about the bleeding right now? It seems like a regular period because of the cramping I am getting.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Excluding pregnancy would still be ideal.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

Though the current episode of bleeding seems more like a normal period, I still would prefer to exclude/confirm pregnancy as bleeding with cramps can also be seen with a chemical abortion and to avoid undue bleeding, proper diagnosis is essential.

Hope I have answered your doubt. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be ready to help.

Follow-up: Irregular periods and fatigue. Sexually active. What could this be? 4 minutes later
So theres a chance I could be pregnet with the this bleeding ?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs exclusion for better management.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing again.

Though the chance of a delayed period is there, bleeding with cramps after a history of delayed periods and regular sexual activity without any protection goes in favor of the possibility of an abortion, technically. So, in order to get better management, it is good to exclude pregnancy. If pregnancy can be excluded, everything is normal and there is no need to worry. It is simply a delayed period, but, if pregnancy is confirmed, it remains to be seen if it is viable, can be salvaged or otherwise. So, this is the reason why I had mentioned about confirmation/exclusion of pregnancy.

Hope all your queries are answered. Please contact if you need any more information. I will be available to help.

Wish you good health.