Irregular periods after stopping birth control shots. Is there something I can do to stop it?

Hi. I've been on my period for the last 2 months. I recently had a paps and everything was normal. I stopped taking my birth control shots about 5 months ago and my period has been irregular ever since. Is there something I can do to stop it? Are there any natural herbs I can take? I am very nervous about getting on birth control after this.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later
After stopping the birth control shots, an irregularity in periods is expected.
Since your periods are irregular for last 5 months, you will have to take hormonal therapy orally to regularize the periods. Any herbal preparation is not likely to help you much at this time.
The irregular bleeding that you are having can be due to uterine fibroids, polyps or hormonal disturbances. For diagnosis, you need to have an ultrasound scan of your lower abdomen and some blood tests.
Laboratory assessment of hemoglobin, luteinizing hormone (LH), follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), prolactin, T4, thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), pregnancy (by βhCG), and androgen profile is needed.
The management of this condition would require treatment with progesterone to stabilize the endometrium and reduce bleeding along with hemostatic agents like ethamsylate or tranexaemic acid .
You might consult your OB-GYN who can do the needed tests and initiate the proper therapy.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.