Irregular periods. Is Norethisterone safe for a 12 year old?

is it safe for my 12 year old daughter to take norethisterone . she has irregular periods which are frequent?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 6 hours later

Norethisterone is useful in regulating menstrual cycles. If taken for short duration like 6 months or so is safe and effective.

Hope I answered you query. If you have any other queries, I am available to answer them. Please accept my answer if you do not have any other queries.

Follow-up: Irregular periods. Is Norethisterone safe for a 12 year old? 1 hour later
i read somehwere where it says norethisterone should not be given to a person under the age of 18, how valid is this data and what is the safest dose for a 12 year old who weighs around 45kgs?
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 11 hours later
Norethisterone is given to young girls as well when the bleeding is more or irregular for short duration. Dose depends on many other factors , hence the exact dosage could be formulated after a detailed clinical examination.

Follow-up: Irregular periods. Is Norethisterone safe for a 12 year old? 10 hours later
are there any other causes for irregular periods in young girls? What sort of investigations need to be done before they can start treatment. I took my daughter to the GP in the seventh month of starting her period and she was prescribed norethisterone on first consultation. She has'n taken it yet but i just wondered if there was any other investigations to be done before going down the route of tablets.
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 4 hours later
Cycles are often irregular in young girls for initial few months. In my practice, I prescribe medicine for cycle regularisation ( hormonal tablets), if it really bothers patient. Regarding investigations ( not mandatory), in consultation with your doctor can have haemogram, hormonal assays like LH, FSH, TSH and ultrasound of uterus and ovaries.