Irregular periods. Asked to do blood test. Do I have to go for blood test if this is a symptom of menopause?

I'm 49 & think I am para-menapausal(sp). I have had probably 4 periods in from Jan-Nov 2011. Since Dec 10th, I have had 3! My dr gave me an order for a long list of blood work, but I started my 3rd period yesterday. Should I wait to have the blood work done? If so why? and if it doesn't matter can you explain?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

It seems like you are having irregular periods since the last year which as your rightly think could be due to menopause.

It's not very sure the reason why the doctor suggested the blood test. I presume it could be to confirm menopause. If so, it would help me to answer better if you could list the test suggested to you and if that includes hormone assays such as serum Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH).

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Irregular periods. Asked to do blood test. Do I have to go for blood test if this is a symptom of menopause? 23 hours later
Of course the blood work was to confirm menopause!!!!!!!!!! That's why I asked what I asked. I had no idea that it would take hours for your answer so this site was just a waste of my money. When I was considering typing the quesion early yesterday morning, I got a chat message that you were "waiting to answer my question"....yeah right! I had to have the blood drawn yesterday @ noon! Since I already paid the money NOW can you tell me since I had the blood already drawn, will the test results be moot since I was on my period? At least give me something for my $10.
Answered by Dr. Radhika 26 minutes later

Sorry for the inconvenience,
FSH(follicle stimulating hormones) are usually done during the second or third day of the menstrual cycle .So there is no problem that you have done the test today.

FSH levels vary during the menstrual cycle and are best measured at its peak or baseline (basal) level. A normal FSH and estradiol level probably indicate that you have a good ovarian reserve.

It's also useful to check your FSH: LH ratio. A normal FSH: LH ratio is 1. However, if your FSH level is much higher than your LH level, then this suggests poor ovarian reserve.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wish you good health and speedy recovery.