Irregular dark colored bleeding after taking emergency contraceptive pill. Is it normal?

Question
hii, my gf had got her period today at 11 am but the flow was very light and black in colour and by the evening the flow has stopped..... its the first day only and her period has stopped and was black in color.... earlier her last period got over on 13 january.. and she had taken a contraceptive pill(unwanted-72) on 31 january.... we are very much tensed, please help us out......
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 44 minutes later
Your girlfriend had finished her previous periods on 13th january. Presuming that she has a normal 3-5 days period, she must be expecting her period around 8th February.
After taking the emergency pill-unwanted 72, it is normal to have a delayed period or a slight irregular bleeding or an initial dark colored vaginal discharge. She must wait for next 4-5 days for her normal period to start. In case the periods do not begin by 14th february, she should get her urine for pregnancy test done by using pregnancy kits available over the counter at all the pharmacies.
Please do not worry. Most likely this is a side effect of unwanted 72 pill. She needs to wait and watch for now.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Irregular dark colored bleeding after taking emergency contraceptive pill. Is it normal? 3 hours later
thanx mam.... she is again getting very slight flow after 7 pm and this time its red in color.... so now is anything worrying or is everything okay???? should we go for a pregnancy test???

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
There is nothing to worry now. Pregnancy is ruled out. She will have her normal flow in a day or two.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Regards.