Injury on thigh, lump developed immediately, swollen, sore, blood clot. Serious?

Question
I got hit with a moving park bench (dog was tied to it and she took off and my left outer thigh stopped it) immediately a huge lump size of a grapefruit under skin developed it is still there after 2 days. I did put ice on it for 6 hours afterward and massaged it, however day 3 it is still alitlle swollen but my concern is the inside there is still a large lump size of my palm and sore to the touch. 5 years ago I had a blood clot in my right leg no problems since I am on No medications. I have no insurance so please keep that in mind.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 13 minutes later

What has happened is the formation of a hematoma under the skin due to the trauma to the thigh. Hematoma is a collection of blood caused by internal bleeding.

For the hematoma and phlebitis, apply warm compresses on the area and take some over the counter anti-inflammatory pain killer after consulting your doctor. Hematomas of the skin and soft tissues are often treated with RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation of affected part).

If symptoms do not subside then this hematoma may need to be drained. A physical examination and MRI of the soft tissue in the area can confirm the diagnosis. Since you have a history of blood clot, so MRI will help in establishing diagnosis.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Injury on thigh, lump developed immediately, swollen, sore, blood clot. Serious? 6 hours later
Thank you for your reply. After using heat and such (rice) what length of time would be sufficient before I would need to seek exam and MRI? If using (RICE) for a week? and it subsides that will be okay?

Thank you Again!

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 11 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

You should follow the RICE treatment along with the anti inflammatory drugs for 1 week and if the symptoms do not subside then preferably get an examination and MRI done from a doctor.

Once it subsides, if there is no visible swelling or pain, then it should be fine.

Regards.