Inhaled a fly. Possibilities?

I inhaled a fly thru my nose yesterday I feel it or something inside in my left nose and left side upper throat, what could happen? what should I do? It bothers me even when I swallow.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 13 minutes later

Inhaled foreign body like a fly may become stuck in the nose or respiratory system and cause breathing problems. It can also lead to inflammation and infection. If the fly was small in size then it may have come out from the nose while breathing but if you are having the sensation of something struck in the airway then there is a possibility that it may have got lodged in the posterior end of nostril or near the larynx.

Blow your nose gently to try to free the fly, but don't blow hard or repeatedly. If only one nostril is affected, close the opposite nostril by applying gentle pressure and then blow out gently through the affected nostril.

If the symptoms persist then you need to get it examined by an ENT specialist. You may need laryngoscopy or flexible bronchoscopy to look into the respiratory passage and remove the fly if it is found.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.