Information on my epithelial cells

epith cells 4-6
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Given your report, I would consider that we are probably looking at a urinary tract infection here. This infection involves the tract through which the urine flows. It is commonly caused by bacteria like Escherichia coli, Klebsiella etc. This commonly causes burning while urination, an increased frequency of urination and having to get up in the night to pass urine. These infections are common in women and are easily treatable. The treatment of this would involve the following:
a. Drink plenty of fluids
b. Cranberry juice has been shown to be useful in fighting this infection.
c. You can take a urine alkalinizing agent like disodium hydrogen citrate
d. You would also need a course of antibiotics like ciprofloxacin. However, it would be best if we get a urine culture and sensitivity done in order to identify the bacterium and know which antibiotic it is susceptible to.
Since these are prescription drugs, I would suggest you see your physician for the same. With this treatment, I think you should be good in about 1 week.
Given your age, I would also suggest a screening for diabetes since these infections are more common in diabetics.
Hope this helps. I will be available for follow ups.