Inflammed gums, sore throat, bleeding. Diagnosed with strep throat. Any connection between the two symptoms?

I was diagnosed with strep throat after a rapid strep test. At the same time that I began having symptoms of strep throat, I also began having inflamed gums, which have now begun to bleed. They are painful and it hurts to chew or brush my teeth, and it of course hurts to swallow with the strep throat. Can this be connected?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 3 hours later
let me know the details, how long the situation had been. If it is more3 than 3 weeks, i would doubt the diagnosis of strept for throat, lasting so long
Strept cause inflamed throat and do cause throat pain and swallowing issues which promptly respond to antibiotics and gargling solutions.
Gum swelling and bleeding, can be related to gum infections, vitamin C or K deficiency and or any other connective tissue or collagen disease and needs to be reviewed for.

Sterpt doesnt cause bleeding either.

I think you get the gums checked. Get prescribed from your doctor some vitamin C, use a soft brush, do brush gently. Try to spare gums while brushing. your dentist may give analgesic/antiseptic rinsing solutions. You may repeat a strept test and lem me know if you had been prescribed any antibiotic for strept and if yes .. how long did you take the medicine?
Thanks.Wishing you good health, waiting for detailed information.